Investing in Kennewick's Future
Student enrollment in Kennewick schools has increased by thousands of students since 2010. The evolving educational demands of the community also mean schools need to be capable of providing a 21st century education.
In February 2015, Kennewick voters approved a $89,500,000 bond measure to build two new middle schools, three new elementary schools, and make other district-wide health, safety, educational and infrastructure improvements.
The district is currently developing a bond proposal to go before voters in February 2019 that may include remodeling or replacing Kennewick High School, updating or replacing the original building of Amistad Elementary, replacing Ridge View Elementary, building a new elementary school and building or remodeling a building for Legacy High School.
2015 Bond Projects Overview
- August 2016: Opened a rebuilt Desert Hills Middle School on Clodfelter Road
- August 2016: Opened the new Sage Crest Elementary on 38th Avenue south of Ridgeline Drive
- January 2017: Opened the new Chinook Middle School on 27th Avenue near the intersection with Southridge Boulevard
- August 2017: Replaced Westgate Elementary on 4th Avenue
- August 2018: Opening a new Elementary School #16 in the Clearwater Creek development on Rachel Road in Richland
Ongoing: Completing additional projects including new roofing, and HVAC systems in existing older buildings, IT network upgrades, land for a future high school, land for a future elementary school, pre-Kennewick High School design work, and bond costs/fees.
Note: Completion of all items on the project list is dependent on receipt of state matching dollars.
Proposed 2019 Bond Timeline
- March 2017: Architect selected for Kennewick High School remodel/replacement
- Spring 2017: Architect begins educational specifications process with Kennewick High School staff
- Summer 2017-Fall 2017: Community input meetings
- Fall 2017: Facility Committee reviews/updates district 10-Year Plan
- Summer 2017-Summer 2018: Kennewick High Project designed by architect
- September-October 2018: Project Cost Estimates Completed
- November 2018: School Board passes bond resolution
- February 2019: Bond election
- April/May 2019: Construction begins