May 14, 2015
No school May 21, makeup day June 12
Dear Kennewick School District Students, Families and Community Members:
Due to a planned one-day walkout by the Kennewick Education Association (KEA) members (our local teachers’ union), Kennewick School District will not hold regular classes at any school on Thursday, May 21. As a result, this means that the school year will be extended by one day to meet the state requirement of 180 school days. The last day of school for students will now be Friday, June 12.
The KEA has made it clear that this is not a protest directed against the Board, staff, students, or community of the Kennewick School District, but a decision made, at the encouragement of the Washington Education Association, to protest a lack of state legislative progress in adequately funding schools. While the district also believes that the legislature should fully fund schools, we do not believe that a walkout by teachers is the best way to convey this message, because it interrupts the education of our students.
Regular classes will not be held at any school in the Kennewick School District on Thursday, May 21, nor will co-curricular activities directly associated with classroom activities such as concerts, student leadership activities, etc.
The following activities will continue as planned:
- Athletics scheduled to happen after the normal school day and activities that are not a part of the KEA Teachers Contract (contact the advisor or coach if you have a question);
- Community Education classes;
- Community youth sports activities; and
- Evening parent and outside organization meetings.
- There is still school on May 22, including no food service.
- June 12 is an early release day and June 11 becomes a regular day for grades K-8.
- The high school finals schedule will adjust a day forward. Check with your school for more information.
The District is also working with the YMCA of the Greater Tri-Cities to increase childcare opportunities for elementary students. For those students who already attend YMCA programs, full day childcare will be offered at their “snow day” sites. For others who are in need of childcare, the YMCA will be providing care at Lincoln Elementary School. Advanced registration is required. Contact the YMCA at (509) 374-1908 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you have questions about your child(ren)’s school or activities, please contact your school directly.