November 15, 2017
Receive parent alerts if school is closed or delayed
Kennewick School District may close or delay school in the event of snow, ice or other emergencies.
NEW 3-HOUR DELAY OPTION: To provide more opportunities for the district to hold school, a 3-hour delay option has been added for the 2017-18 school year. This option will only be considered if the district has missed a significant number of school days already.
Every effort is made to announce closures or delays by 6 a.m. If conditions change after the decision is made to delay school, it is possible that the district may cancel school. We will try to make a final decision by 7:30 a.m., or shortly thereafter. If changed, an updated alert will be sent out as soon as possible.
If there is no mention on the district website of delays or closures, schools are running on time.
Road conditions in the district can vary depending on where you live. We support a parent’s or guardian’s decision to pick their child up early or to not send their child to school. Absences will be considered excused with a signed note.
1. Receive texts, emails and phone calls - Available to KSD Parents and Guardians only.
- Log into your PowerSchool for Parents account at www.ksd.org or from your school website and select SCHOOLMESSENGER on the left side menu. If you need your PowerSchool login or password, contact your school office.
- Select the CONTACTS tab at the top of the page and then select EDIT on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Choose if you want to receive alerts by phone, email or text/SMS and select SAVE at the bottom.
2. District Website - Check www.ksd.org
4. Media - Watch and listen to local television and radio stations
2-Hour or 3-Hour Delay
- Once decided, a 2-hour delay will not switch to a 3-hour delay. There is still the possibility it could change to a closure if conditions worsen.
- If school is delayed, buses will run on either a 2 or 3-hour delay as specified.
- Breakfast is canceled.
- AM ECEAP classes are canceled.
- AM Tri-Tech Skills Center classes are canceled.
- AM Keewaydin Discovery Center classes are canceled.
- High school zero-hour classes are canceled.
- K-8 Early Release Wednesdays: If a 3-hour delay occurs on a Wednesday, elementary and middle school early release is canceled and students only will get out at the regular time. A two-hour delay will still be an early release.
- 9-12 Early Release Wednesdays: If a 2 or 3-hour delay occurs on a high school early release Wednesday, the early release is canceled and high school students only will get out at the regular time.
Athletics, After-School Activities and Other School Events
- If school is closed, all out-of-district transportation, meetings, field trips, after-school activities, practices, and games will be canceled for the day unless otherwise announced.
- All evening meetings and events scheduled to take place in district facilities will also be canceled.
Releasing Students Early on Snow Days
- We do not send children home early in the event of snow or ice. This would be extremely difficult due to the challenge of notifying all parents/guardians and ensuring there is an adult at home or elsewhere to supervise children.
- A parent or guardian may pick their child up early if they choose and provide a notification to the office.
Snow Bus Stops and Routes
- Snow stops/routes affect only a small number of households who are pre-notified by the district that they have an alternate bus stop. If you have questions, please contact Transportation Services at (509) 222-5075.
- Student drivers are encouraged to use school buses if bad weather is a possibility.