Subcultures and Countercultures Assignment
Create a Power Point, a written research paper, movie, or poster to address the following question:
How do subcultures and countercultures reflect diversity within American society?
(10 points each for the items listed below)
- You should include 5 examples of subcultures and 5 examples of countercultures. (Examples of subcultures and countercultures are provided below.)
- Provide background information on the groups and explain how the group came to be a part of American society.
- Explore the reaction of other groups to the subcultures and countercultures.
- Explain what elements make the group a subculture or counterculture.
- Explain how the groups add to diversity, but also can create tension and conflict.
- Use key terms associated with your subculture, include language differences and slang
- Explain negative and positive impact, images, and stereotypes associated with the group
- Explain relevant traditions, customs, rituals and routines associated with the group
- Discuss the value of evaluating groups by their own standards (cultural relativism)
- Summarize, is cultural diversity through subcultures and countercultures a good or a bad?
Subcultures Examples Countercultures Examples
Any ethnic group (Native Americans, Chinese, Hispanics) Jihadists or Nation of Islam
Religious groups (Jews, LDS/Mormons, Moonies) Fundamentalist Church of LDS (Bigamists)
Farmers or Cowboys or Coal Miners Ku Klux Klan
Tea Party Members Militias such as Huteree
Goths, Punks, Geeks, or Trekkers Hells Angels
Knights of Columbus or Masons Mafia
Daughters of American Revolution Neo Nazis or Skinheads