Deciding if the Dual Language Program Is Right for Your Family
Our Dual Language program requires a commitment from the entire family. Students learn language during the day, while parents are encouraged to learn language by night. Children who have a love of learning, age-appropriate language development and support and encouragement from home will find success in the dual language program.
Your child is a good candidate for the dual language program if they:
- Are developmentally on target in their native language.
- Express an interest in different people, places and things.
- Want to become fluent in Spanish and English.
The program is a good fit for families that:
- Value other cultures – the people, art, history, etc.
- Support learning a second language and encourage practicing the language.
- Are willing to participate in school projects and activities.
- Are willing to commit to nine years of dual language.
Applying to the Dual Language Program
Children start the program in kindergarten so that there is a multiyear commitment.
Each year, informational meetings are held for families to learn more about the program. A parent must attend one of the meetings for his/her child to be considered for the program. Application forms are distributed at the informational meetings. Completed applications should be sent to Kennewick School District, Dual Language Program, 1000 W. Fourth Ave., Kennewick, WA, 99336.
Important Note: Kennewick School District’s recruitment procedure for the Dual Language program is based on the following guidelines:
- Siblings of current dual language participants are placed in schools with their siblings.
- Submitting a dual language application does not guarantee a space in the dual language program.
- A lottery is used to select participants if there are more applicants than spaces.