Migrant And Bilingual

Migrant & Bilingual Page Image

Migrant Education Program

A migrant child is a child of a migrant agricultural worker or fisher who moves with their family from one school district to another so a parent or other member of the immediate family might secure temporary or seasonal employment in agriculture, fishing or related food processing activities.

Current migrant students are:
  • Interstate: Have moved within the past 36 months across state boundaries from one state to another.
  • Intrastate: Have moved within the past 36 months within the state.

Priority for Service

Services for migrant children are prioritized for the following:

  • Children failing or most at risk of failing to meet the state’s learning standards AND
  • Children whose education has been interrupted during the regular school year by a qualifying move or who have missed a significant amount of school time due to the child’s or family’s migrant lifestyle.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

The migrant identification and recruitment specialist (home visitor) at the Administration Center is responsible for identifying migrant children in the Kennewick School District. Through community and school contacts, the home visitor learns which families are new, conducts a home interview and issues a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) if the family qualifies. A flexible schedule allows for family visitation and identification after business hours.

If you suspect a child in your building may qualify for migrant services, please send the name of the child, name of the parent/ guardian, phone number and address to the home visitor and the determination of eligibility will be made.

Migrant Student Information System (MSIS)

The migrant records clerk at the district Administration Center enters the COE information into the MSIS, a computerized information network based in Sunnyside. The system maintains and transfers educational and health data for Washington’s migrant children. The clerk regularly sends to schools a list of all migrant children attending classes in their building.

Services for Migrant Students

Middle School

Highlands: Migrant graduation specilalist, paraeducator support
Horse Heaven Hills: Paraeducator support, migrant graduation specialist
Park: Migrant graduation specialist, paraeducator support

High School

Kamiakin: Migrant graduation specialist, PASS, paraeducator support
Kennewick: Migrant graduation specialist (2), PASS, paraeducator support
Southridge: Migrant graduation specialist, PASS, paraeducator support

Q: What is PASS?
Q: What is a migrant graduation specialist?

Parent Advisory Council

Parent Advisory Council (PAC) and Parental Involvement

Parental involvement is an integral part of all Title I programs, including the Migrant Education Program (MEP). It is important for parents and schools to develop partnerships and build an ongoing dialogue to improve student achievement. In order to receive MEP funds, school districts must implement programs, activities and procedures that effectively involve migrant parents.

Studies have found that students with involved parents are more likely to:

  • Earn high grades and test scores and enroll in higher-level programs
  • Pass their classes, earn credits and be promoted
  • Attend school regularly
  • Graduate and go on to postsecondary education
Q: What is the function of a PAC?
Q: Who is eligible to be a member of a PAC?
Q: How does a district select PAC members?
Q: May MEP funds be spent for childcare, transportation and food/refreshments provided during parent meetings or training?
Q: When does the PAC hold its meetings?

Migrant Program Contacts

Sarah Del Toro
Migrant/Bilingual Coordinator
(509) 222-6491
Eva Sandoval
Migrant Home Visitor
(509) 222-5109
Gabbie Reynoso
Parent Liaison
(509) 222-6615
Sylvia Vasquez
Records Clerk
(509) 222-5466
Blanca Harvey
Dual Language Facilitator/Bilingual Literacy Coach
(509) 222-6899