November 30, 2019
School Closures & Delays Due to Weather
School Closures & Delays
Winter weather may bring ice or snow to roadways around the school district. To ensure the safety of students and staff, schools may be closed and classes and activities may be delayed or canceled.
Road conditions may vary throughout the district depending on where you live and the district supports a parent’s or guardian’s decision to pick their child up early or to not send their child to school. Absences due to winter weather conditions will be considered excused with parent permission
Factors Considered When Deciding To Close or Delay School
- Road conditions and the ability of our buses, parents and staff to safely get to school
- Ability of district maintenance crews to clear parking lots and sidewalks around the school to open the schools
- Worsening weather conditions and the forecast for more snow or ice
Decision-Making Process To Close or Delay School
In the event of snow or icy conditions, the district typically follows the following process:
- Evening and early morning hours - When necessary, facility maintenance crews begin snow and ice removal in parking lots and sidewalks around schools.
- 3 to 4:30 a.m. - District officials begin driving bus routes in the district to assess road conditions.
- 4:30 a.m. - The superintendent consults with the transportation manager, facility services director, city road crews, and neighboring school district superintendents on the latest information regarding road conditions, weather forecasts and traffic conditions.
- 6 a.m. - Every effort is made to notify our community of school closures or delays no later than 6 a.m. As soon as a decision is made, information will be posted at www.ksd.org. If there is no notification by 6 a.m., schools will run on a regular schedule.
- 6 to 7:30 a.m. - District officials will continue to monitor and drive bus routes after a decision has been made to delay school. It is possible that the decision to delay school may change to a school cancellation due to worsening conditions. A final decision will be made by 7:30 a.m. If there is a change, an updated notification will be sent out.
If there is no mention on the district website of delays or closures, schools are running on time.
- School buses will run on a 2-hour delay.
- Breakfast is canceled.
- AM Keewaydin Discovery Preschool and ECEAP classes are canceled.
- AM Tri-Tech Skills Center classes are canceled.
- High School zero-hour classes are canceled.
- AM sports practices are canceled.
- Early Release Wednesdays - If a 2-hour delay occurs on a K-8 Early Release day, the day will still be an early release. If a 2-hour delay occurs on a 9-12 Early Release Day, the early release is canceled for high school students and they will get out at the regular time.
To provide more opportunities for the district to hold school, a 3-hour delay option has been added as a possible alternative. The 3-hour delay will only be considered if the district has missed a significant number of school days already.
Alternate Bus Stops on Snowy Days
There are some alternate bus stops for specific routes used when there are snowy conditions. The families affected will be notified by letter in advance where those stops are located.
If you have questions, please contact Transportation Services at (509) 222-5075.
Athletics, After-School Activities and Other School Events
If school is closed, all out-of-district transportation, meetings, field trips, after-school activities, practices and games will be canceled for the day unless otherwise announced.
All evening meetings and events scheduled to take place in district facilities will also be canceled.
Releasing Students Early on Snow Days
We do not send children home early in the event of snow or ice. This would be difficult due to the challenge of notifying all parents/guardians and ensuring there is an adult at home or elsewhere to supervise children.
A parent or guardian may pick their child up early if they choose and should provide a notification to the office.
School Alerts & Notifications
- Log into your PowerSchool for Parents account.
- Select QUICK LINKS
- Select MAIN PORTAL PAGE
- Select SCHOOL MESSENGER
- Select PREFERENCES from the menu icon in the upper left corner.
- Under MY MESSAGE PREFERENCES edit how you want to be contacted.