Kennewick School District (KSD) is dedicated to ensuring that all students reach their highest potential and are prepared for their future. KSD is committed to providing high quality services for all students, including our students in need of highly capable services.
learn ABout highly capable programs
Our Highly Capable programs offer accelerated and enhanced instructional opportunities to students who have been identified as highly capable. Our programs are designed to meet the needs of our highly capable learners by providing services and instruction beyond the scope of the general education classroom.
A highly capable learner is defined by the state of Washington as a “student who has been assessed to have superior intellectual ability as demonstrated by one or more criteria.” Our Program uses both cognitive and academic performance data to determine a student’s highly capable eligibility.
We are proud to offer programs and services which are designed to meet the needs of our highly capable learners through:
- Enrichment and extension of academic and intellectual skill;
- Stimulation of intellectual curiosity, independence and responsibility;
- Acceleration and enrichment of content to meet student learning needs; and
- Development of advanced critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills through the lens of local and global citizenship
As you explore our webpage, you will read these terms:
- Highly Capable Programs (High Cap) - This includes all of the programs and services from grades K-12 including KOG, Young Scholars, Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB), Running Start, College in the High School.
highly capable assessement process timeline
- Universal Cognitive Screeners for all second graders.
- NOVEMBER - DECEMBER
- KSD Multidisciplinary Team reviews student data and parent referrals for Highly Capable services to be provided at the student's boundary school
- Families are notified if their student qualifies for services and letters will be mailed from each school.
- Universal Cognitive Screeners for all fifth graders and any new second, third or fourth graders.
- KSD Multidisciplinary team reviews student data for placement in Kennewick Opportunities for the Gifted (KOG) for the upcoming school year and notifies parents if their student qualifies.
- Who is a Highly Capable student?
- What is Highly Capable?
- What are the highly capable services that KSD offers?
- How are students identified for highly capable programs?
- Can a student be opted out of Highly Capable programs?
- Can parents, guardians or teachers recommend a student for Highly Capable services?
- What if a parent wants to appeal a decision? What is the process?
- What if my student transferred from another school district?
- OSPI Washington State Highly Capable (Law, Guidance and Resources)
- Hoagies' Gifted Education
- Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth
- National Association for Gifted Children
- Robinson Center for Young Scholars
- Supporting the Emotional Needs of the Gifted
- Washington Association for Educators of the Talented & Gifted