Measuring student progress and achievement
Student assessment in the Kennewick School District provides clear, meaningful and balanced information about student learning. Assessment serves the needs of students, teachers, parents, administrators and the community by:
- Showing student progress toward meeting Washington State K-12 Learning Standards.
- Guiding district and classroom improvement efforts.
- Clarifying what students are expected to know and be able to do.
Types of Assessments
are standards-based processes used by teachers and students during instruction that provide actionable feedback that is used to adjust instruction and learning strategies during the learning.
Think: Assessment FOR Learning.
are standards-based. They
generally happen after
instruction and used to evaluate student learning or determine grades.
Think: Assessment OF Learning.
Balanced assessment systems use a variety of standards-based assessments – formative and summative – to drive the teaching and learning process, making effective decisions about what comes next for learning, program effectiveness, and closing achievement gaps.
- Classroom Formative Assessments
- Classroom Summative Assessments
- STAR Assessments
- District Summative Assessments
- State Summative Assessments
- National Summative Assessment
- SMARTER BALANCED